Sunday, April 20, 2014

More of Who Are We and Tips for Staying Sane

One of the reasons why we want to put our thoughts down in this blog is to share our thought process and talk about the stress and emotional IVF/Asian Egg Donation/Gestational Surrogacy whirlwind you go through as Intended Parents (IPs).


Find a stress relieving hobby to keep you sane.
 I love to garden and take photos.
Scentimental Rose, April 2014
Photo: Baby For Our Family Blog
After much reflection to getting us to this point, we want to share with you:

Helpful Tips for Keeping You Sane
  1. Learn from the past.
  2. There will be stress, lost of control. But you will move on, promise!
  3. Burn The Big Picture in your mind. You and your spouse are a TEAM.
  4. Know your limits and be thankful.

Learn from the past



How did we get here? Always look forward, not backwards. From my previous experience with IVF, if I ever had a second chance, I wanted to go somewhere that I felt I was more than a number.  My 1st time I chose UCSF, which while they are great for more difficult IVF patients like me because they are a powerhouse research and teaching facility, I felt they were too clinical and I was just a teaching patient.  I had residents give me vaginal ultrasounds and had small groups watching and observing me during my cycle consults.  When I learned that my IVF nurse coordinator which I had a great relationship with no longer worked there, this was my push, or karma, to try a new place with my new husband for my 2nd time around the fertility merry-go-round.

We ended up at Kaiser without even looking at their IVF success rates because the manner and the comfortableness with the Kaiser IVF RE felt right. We clicked. Kaiser is different from UCSF.  It's not a teaching facility so its just the RE and a nurse with you in the room. I felt this would be much better environment for both our egg donor and gestational carrier for them to be less lab rats and more like human beings without an audience of lab coats observing every move and learning how to use a vaginal ultrasound machine.

Stress, stress, and more stress -- The lost of control. Accept it and move on.


I figured if we were going to spend all this money and time we want to work with people in which we would have strong, enjoyable relationships.  Going through it the 1st time was very stressful and emotional. Words can't really describe the gamut of the highs and lows, the stop and go, and all of the running around. One has to go through IVF to fully understand and once you do, you, and your spouse if you have one, don't really forget.

What I didn't realize before this and now having gone through the 2nd time around is that adding the new layers of needing an Asian egg donor and gestational carrier to IVF takes the stress and emotions to even a higher level and, at times, you just have no control!  This terrible stress, surprisingly, comes from areas you least expect it, and it's NOT from your egg donor or carrier! 

No one wants to go through this scenario unless you really have to. You REALLY must want to have a child in your deepest core because as a couple you go through a lot of stress together and separately, at times stupid, unnecessary, stress, more so than if you were able to go through IVF yourself and carry.  One of you has to be level-headed at any giving time, even while the other one is screaming from frustration.

A key area that I don't see much discussion on or written about is your relationship with your IVF clinic coordinator.  This experience, I believe, can make or break your overall fertility experience. This person can be your advocate/quarterback/mental health counselor all rolled up into one. You'll be spending a lot of time on the phone or emailing with this person while you are going through your donor and gestational carrier selection and their medical reviews. 

This can be going on for months so your relationship can be very deep. I've been very lucky with having two great ones, one at UCSF and now Kaiser. The coordinator has years of experience and has pretty much seen and heard anything and everything. Heavily lean on this person. That person may be able to reduce a lot of your stress and also help facilitate a lot of the back and forth with your donor and surrogate agencies when you don't feel like dealing with them yourself.

Keeping it together and count your blessings


Again, continually reinforce with yourself:  "Why are we here?" "Why are we doing this?" Always keep The Big Picture - visualize your baby in your arms - in your mind to minimize the stress and emotions. For Hubby and me, we keep this visual in our minds:

We're very fortunate that we now have the reproductive technology, live in California and have very caring and generous strangers willing to help people like us achieve our goal.

Having your goal, your main purpose, always in your mind will keep you sane. Always be sure you and your spouse are communicating (and listening) with each other throughout the process. You two are in it together sharing this journey!

Things we learned about ourselves


It's true, egg donors and gestational carriers do "walk on water." After getting to this point with even more running around and the stops and gos than what I experienced with my 1st IVF, if you ask whether Hubby or I would want to be an egg donor or carrier for a total stranger, let alone a family member, we more than ever would say: "HECK NO!!"

Egg donors and gestational carriers work hard, get prodded and pricked, go to half dozen consults and their families, especially the carriers who have children, also make sacrifices, for the compensation they make hands down! We are very blessed and grateful to have two angels and their support groups who were willing to work with us and possibly make our dream come true!  From them you learn the true meaning of patience, helpfulness and empathy.


Love to hear from you:  How did you deal with the stress during this process? How did you pick your IVF clinic? Who was your "helpful angel" or "go-to person" during this time that kept you and your spouse sane?

No comments:

Post a Comment